Views
Helpful
Replies

RP config in PIM-Sparse mode

HUBERT RESCH
Level 3
Level 3

I configured all our Links with ip pim sparse-mode

I also configured static RP on one router.

Must this RP be konfigured on all MC-routers in between Source and receiver

or is it sufficent to configure it on the leaf-routers , where sources and receivers are connected.

Background of my Question.: for most MC in my Network we are using autp-RP because the receivers are distributed over a lot of sites.

Now I have a few MC groups which have only one source and receivers on one site.

For these group I do not want to use auto-rp, I want to avoid that all routers know about the RP mapping.

So my idea was to configure static RP for these group and only tell the leaf-routers at source and receivers about this rp

Thx

1 Reply 1

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hubert,

All routers part of the Group and running multicast should KNOW about the RP. the leaf routers and the intermediate routers running the multicast.

The Designated router and forwarder needs to know the RP to send a unicast registration message to the RP. the routers (Intermediate) which and should be running multicast because  Pim messages including join messages are sent to the RP from the IGMP querier router. If those routers doesnt know about the RP, then those messages will never reach the RP and the multicast traffic will be dropped.

HTH

Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card