Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

rpr,rpr+

Hi everybody

I was reading about route processor redundancy.  Few questions popped up in my mind.

1) When we say route engine initialized what exactly we mean?  ( I understand the what is route engine what it does, just confused about initialized part)

2) Layer 2 and 3 protocols initialized, What exactly it means ?

Thanks and have a great weekend.

3 REPLIES
Gold

rpr,rpr+

hi,

#1 when we say route engine is initialized, it refers to the Router/Supervisor engine being fully booted and loaded the start-up config and have full control of system's functions and modules.

#2 in RPR+ the redundant sup is partialy booted allowing the route engine to initialize (faster red.) but no Layer 2 / L3 protocol functions start, in case of failure the redundant module finishes the boot and loading process and takes over the system and runs modules without a reloading them. in this step we say L2/L3 initialized (with the redundant sup, of course).

Hope it Helps, Soroush.
Bronze

rpr,rpr+

Hi soroushm

"1 when we say route engine is initialized, it refers to the  Router/Supervisor engine being fully booted and loaded the start-up  config and have full control of system's functions and modules"

Based on the above excerpt, route engine initialization includes :

Router/Supervisor engine being fully booted and loaded the start-up   config and have full control of system's functions and modules"

However my book shows them as distinct seperate operations from route engine initialization. as indicated below:

Supervisor Bootstrap

Image LoadedStandby

Initializes

IOS Image Loaded

Sync Startup-Config

Supervisor Diagnostics

All Switch Modules

Reloaded

Route Engine

Initialized

Layer 2 Protocols

Initialized

Layer 3 Protocols

Initialized

Routing Protocols

Converge

FIB Table Flushed

and Re-Created  

The question still remains what exactly we mean when we speak of route engine ,layer2 and layer3 protocols initialized?

thanks and have a great weekend

Gold

rpr,rpr+

then it might mean that, these particular subsystems has been checked and diagnosed and are ready to take control when necessary.

something like pre-flight checks for airplanes, they usually get done right b4 the flight, but u can have a plane checked and ready to replace it ASAP in case of an emergency.

plz Rate if it helped.

Soroush,

Hope it Helps, Soroush.
Views
Helpful
Replies