Helpful
Replies

rps behavior

dimensyssrl
Level 1
Level 1

hello all

I've this little problem

I need to connect an important switch to rps power, I'm testing this operation on another offline identical switch.

When I connect rps to the switch, rps led on the switch start blinking amber (from manual I can see that in this case, rps send power to the switch).

Now I can disconnect network power and switch remains up.

But when I reconnect network power, rps led continue to blink amber, and if I disconnect rps cable (or if I click active/standby button on the rps), switch reboot...

How can I advice the switch to restart using network power, without need to reboot it?

Thanks

Daniele

3 Replies 3

dario.didio
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

which type of switch and which type of RPS are you using?

When using an RPS 2300 and a C3560-E and C3750-E, the switch cqn revert back to its own power source without reboot. All other models will reboot when going from RPS power source back to normal power source.

"When backed up by a Cisco RPS 2300, a Cisco Catalyst 3750-E or 3560-E Series Switch is capable of reverting back to its own power supply without rebooting. All other devices may reboot when reverting back to their own power supplies"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps7148/ps7130/product_data_sheet0900aecd805bbef6.html

You should know that an RPS is normally used to backup a switch that has suffered internal power supply failure.

To backup a switch in case the power circuit fails, you should use a UPS.

HTH,

Dario

switch is WS-C3550-24 and rps 300...

thanks for your reply...

Daniele

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hopefully, I'll be corrected, but I believe you might not be able to revert to main power w/o the switch reload.

[edit]

Looks like it depends on the switch. Thanks Dario.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card