Views
Helpful
Replies

RPS2300 traps or syslog

dario.didio
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I've done some reading and testing with an RPS 2300 and a C3560E.

The RPS works great. when I disconnect the power cable "simulating a power problem", the RPS takes over. When the power comes back, the RPS stops and the internal power takesover again without any problems.

The problem for me is that I don't receive any trap or syslog whatsoever. The snmp envmon trap is completly enabled and syslog is enabled to report up to informational level.

What can I do, and does it even exist, to have my switch to send a trap when he changes from internal to RPS?

I know that an RPS should be used to prevent from internal power supply failure, but that is kinda hard to simulate isn't it?

When the internal power supply would fail, will the envmon supply trap be send?

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply 1

jsivulka
Level 5
Level 5

There is a syslog message at ALERT level when the internal power supply is removed or is detected as being faulty.

If you have a 3560e connected to RPS2300, you may try "power supply off" and then see the syslog message. Also, "sh env power" should indicate the status of the power supply and "sh env rps" will inform if the RPS is backing up the switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card