cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSPAN across a MAN

rutledgec
Level 1
Level 1

I've been trying to setup RSPAN across our Metro Ethernet connections and am having trouble. What I've done, is:

Created an RSPAN VLAN on every participating switch. Our core switch is a 6513 running CatOS. The remote sites are connected using a 3550 acting as a layer 3 switch which connects to the edge switches which are 3560s. I'm running VTP transparent mode on all of the switches. I've specifically allowed the RPSAN vlan to pass on the trunk ports that connect the 3550's and the 6513. The RSPAN source ports are setup correctly on the 3560's because I can create a destination port on the 3550's and see the correct traffic. However, when I create a destination port on the 6513, I only see broadcast traffic from teh devices I'm trying to monitor. I can post any configurations that would be helpful. I'm wondering if the Metro Ethernet connection could be at fault.

1 Reply 1

kbeltz
Level 1
Level 1

RSPAN consists of at least one RSPAN source session, an RSPAN VLAN, and at least one RSPAN destination session. You separately configure RSPAN source sessions and RSPAN destination sessions on different network devices. To configure an RSPAN source session on a device, you associate a set of source ports or source VLANs with an RSPAN VLAN. The output of this session is the stream of SPAN packets that are sent to the RSPAN VLAN. To configure an RSPAN destination session on another device, you associate the destination port with the RSPAN VLAN. The destination session collects all RSPAN VLAN traffic and sends it out the RSPAN destination port.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5532/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00803960a1.html#wp1078789

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card