cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSPAN configuration between Cisco Blade switch 3120 and Nexus 7K

sachin goel
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to configure Remote SPAN between Cisco IOS and Nexus OS. Based on documentation seen on Cisco, looks like Nexus supports ERSPAN only.

Is there any configuration expample available on Cisco, showing RSPAN configuration between source switch running Cisco IOS and destination switch running Nexus OS?

I have a scenario to configure remote span in below setup.

Switch1 (Cisco Blade Switch) --> Switch2 (N5K) --> Switch3 (N7K)

Access                                       Distribution          Core

7 Replies 7

Richard Michael
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The only way is to configure ERSPAN. RSPAN is not supported in N5k and we dont have any plans to support it either. In N7k if you have F1 then again we dont support ERSPAN. So you should have M1 on N7k and N5k and source and perform the ERSPAN configs(Note: No Blade switches). The reason behind this would be , you have Blade switches which dont support ERSPAN and support only RSPAN. you either need to change the hardware for ERSPAN support by replacing blade switches or connect Blade switches directly to N7k. Even if you do it (N7k) can be used only as RSPAN source and not destination. So your design is wrong and cannot do SPAN.

Richard.

Thank you Richard for your detailed reply.

I do have few Cisco Blade Switches (3120)  which are directly connected to Nexus 7K. Can i still configure RSAN between them if source port is on Blade switch and destination port is on Nexus 7K( has a M1 card).

Hi Sachin,

N7k dont support RSPAN as destination still not possible. With the exisiting design both ERSPAN and RSPAN is not possible.

Thanks,

Richard.

Thanks for confirmation.

No Problem. Also i have checked for RSPAN support in roadmap which is not there. So it wont be there anytime soon. If you require span then you can go ahead with changing the design i.e, migrating from blade switches to some other switches supporting ERSPAN.

Richard.

*Rate if its useful

How about configuring ERSPAN between Cisco 6500 and Nexus 7K ( having M1 card). Is it supported? If yes, any configuration example will help. Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card