cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSPAN Configuration Issues.

j98me2
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to setup RSPAN between 3 switches. I am trying to SPAN all traffic from switch A and Switch B to a port on Switch C. The port on switch C is attached to a server running some monitoring software.

Currently I am not getting any traffic out of the monitoring port. I am sure it is a setup error on my part. I looked over all of the how to's I could find and as far as I can tell I should be good to go. I would be grateful if someone can look at the config below and set me strait.

Switch A

!

vlan 12

remote-span

!

!

monitor session 1 source vlan 65

monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 12

!

Switch B

!

vlan 12

remote-span

!

monitor session 1 source vlan 65

monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 12

!

Switch C

!

!

vlan 12,25,45,55,65,172

!

monitor session 1 destination interface Gi3/12

monitor session 1 source remote vlan 12

!

interface GigabitEthernet3/12

description To Monitoring Server

switchport

switchport access vlan 12

switchport mode access

speed 1000

duplex full

Adapter on server plugged into port g3/12

IP 10.12.1.5/24

no default gateway configured

Also I posted this question previously but the title was wrong. I am reposting with the proper title hoping it helps me get hooked up with someone who has an answer. Thanks in advance for all the help.

3 Replies 3

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

I looked at that one earlier, but it is for the CatOS and I am running the IOS. I used

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.1E/native/configuration/guide/span.html

I have been over it more than once and used the configuration examples when creating my config, but I am still missing something because it does not work.

In the URL you posted did you read the below:-

VSPAN Guidelines and Restrictions

These are VSPAN guidelines and restrictions:

•For VSPAN sessions with both ingress and egress configured, two packets are forwarded from the destination port if the packets get switched on the same VLAN (one as ingress traffic from the ingress port and one as egress traffic from the egress port).

•VSPAN only monitors traffic that leaves or enters Layer 2 ports in the VLAN.

-If you configure a VLAN as an ingress source and traffic gets routed into the monitored VLAN, the routed traffic is not monitored because it never appears as ingress traffic entering a Layer 2 port in the VLAN.

-If you configure a VLAN as an egress source and traffic gets routed out of the monitored VLAN, the routed traffic is not monitored because it never appears as egress traffic leaving a Layer 2 port in the VLAN.

RSPAN Guidelines and Restrictions

These are RSPAN guidelines and restrictions:

•Any network device that supports RSPAN VLANs can be an RSPAN intermediate device.

•Networks impose no limit on the number of RSPAN VLANs that the networks carry.

•Intermediate switches might impose limits on the number of RSPAN VLANs that they can support.

•You must configure the RSPAN VLANs in all source, intermediate, and destination network devices. If enabled, the VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) can propagate configuration of VLANs numbered 1 through 1024 as RSPAN VLANs. You must manually configure VLANs numbered higher than 1024 as RSPAN VLANs on all source, intermediate, and destination network devices.

•If you enable VTP and VTP pruning, RSPAN traffic is pruned in the trunks to prevent the unwanted flooding of RSPAN traffic across the network.

•RSPAN VLANs can be used only for RSPAN traffic.

•Do not configure a VLAN used to carry management traffic as an RSPAN VLAN.

•Do not assign access ports to RSPAN VLANs. RSPAN puts access ports in an RSPAN VLAN into the suspended state.

•Do not configure any ports in an RSPAN VLAN except those selected to carry RSPAN traffic.

•MAC address learning is disabled on the RSPAN VLAN.

•You can use an output access control list (ACL) on the RSPAN VLAN in the RSPAN source switch to filter the traffic sent to an RSPAN destination.

•RSPAN does not support BPDU monitoring.

•Do not configure RSPAN VLANs as sources in VSPAN sessions.

•You can configure any VLAN as an RSPAN VLAN as long as all participating network devices support configuration of RSPAN VLANs and you use the same RSPAN VLAN for each RSPAN session in all participating network devices.

•Entering SPAN configuration commands does not clear previously configured SPAN parameters. You must enter the no monitor session command to clear configured SPAN parameters.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card