cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSPAN for voice recorder

mpozorski
Level 1
Level 1

We have decided to utilize a third party software application for recording our voice calls (Witness). We run CCM and IPCC Express. According to the vendor, we will just need to configure a span port that the recording server will plug into. Since we have over 220 IP Phones that will be recorded, they are on multiple 3560 and 2950 switches so I will need to configure RSPAN. We will need to record both inbound and outbound calls including transfer calls as well. There is already a RSPAN VLAN configured on the network so my questions are:

1. Could I setup a port on a 2950 that will listen to all of the traffic on the voice VLAN or should I set one up on our core switches (3560).

2. Would I need to configure the RSPAN on all of the switches that the IP phones plug into or just configure it on one switch (the same switch that the recorder plugs into).

I have read through several documents on the Cisco website but I just cannot seem to locate one that describes a scenario like the one i am looking at. So if anyone out there has ever ran into this before or could offer some advice as what would be the most efficient way to get this configured I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

2 Replies 2

hoogen_82
Level 4
Level 4

Well have you thought of SPAN?

I believe you have a seperate voice vlan for all those 220 IP Phones. You just need to keep the voice vlan as your source and forward traffic to a destination interface.

Switch(config)# monitor session 2 destination interface gigabitethernet0/2

Switch(config)# monitor session 2 source vlan 10

Assuming vlan 10 is your voice vlan.

HTH

Hoogen

Do rate if this helps :)

Thanks for the reply. I thought that SPAN could not be used when trying to monitor ports on different switches although they are on the same VLAN. I may have just been reading too many different documents on the subject and confused myself but if I can just setup one port that will monitor the entire VLAN then I will go that route. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card