Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSPAN - if the destination port is 'across' other switches 3560X

3560 X             

Have have one switch setup for a local SPAN port (source Gi0/14 - destination Gi0/20).

It works great.

Now I have need to send copies from *another* switch to that same destination port.

I know I can do  RSPAN to do that, but I have two questions.

1. Any issue with having two different SPANs going to one destination?

2. does each switch between the source switch and destination switch need any config? Or just the source switch?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Mark,

You need need to use a vlan between the switches to carry the span.

See this config guide for an example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swspan.html#wp1317252

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Mark,

You need need to use a vlan between the switches to carry the span.

See this config guide for an example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swspan.html#wp1317252

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Alex,

thanks!

Reading through it I saw this:

It can participate in only one SPAN session at a time (a destination port in one SPAN session cannot be a destination port for a second SPAN session).

The destination port is an audio recorder (Eventide VoIP Gateway).

I read the above that I can't send anything from ANOTHER port to that same port at the same time.

Yes?

If so, none of this will work. I can easily see traffic at the same time we need to record.

Plus, the source port on the RSPAN would be in a different VLAN than the destination port- it actually is routed, so info can get there but I'm a bit confused about needing a separate VLAN just for RSPAN...

Kind of looks like it won't work in this application- I have an alternative way to record the phones (audio forwarding to the native recorder rather than the VoIP gateway). But we would need to buy more lisences.

thanks for the help!

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card