Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

RSPAN Load Balance

Hi everybody! I go straight to the problem I'm facing:
I need to send a data stream via RSPAN to a remote device for traffic analysis. Because of the large amount of data (>1Gbps) I need to put the remote VLAN, which carries the RSPAN traffic, on an etherchannel and to load-balance that traffic among the members of the etherchannel.
The problem is that it seems that there's no algorithm I can use to load-balance the RSPAN traffic. The device I'm using  is a Cisco 3750 switch, so no per-packet load balancing algorithm is available (and I think that, even if I could use this technique, I would encounter some sort of out-of-sequence packets issue).
Is there a way to efficiently load balance a RSPAN traffic on an etherchannel?

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey Enrico,I did some more

Hey Enrico,

I did some more digging and looks like its a limitation.

SPAN and RSPAN traffic will always take first available port in the bundle so no load balancing.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

5 REPLIES

Hey Enrico,Etherchannel will

Hey Enrico,

Etherchannel will perform load balancing as per the selected hashing algorithm. In 3750 default is src-mac address so it will only check the source mac-address of RSPAN traffic while performing load balancing across etherchannel. So you may change it to a more granular value, available options are provided in link below:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swethchl.html#wp1276203

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

Thank you rajeevsh,I already

Thank you rajeevsh,I already tried to set different configurations, but unfortunately it seems like RSPAN traffic is not affected by etherchannel hashing algorithms.

Hey Enrico,I did some more

Hey Enrico,

I did some more digging and looks like its a limitation.

SPAN and RSPAN traffic will always take first available port in the bundle so no load balancing.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

Thank you rajeevsh, I thought

Thank you rajeevsh, I thought something like that. I will think about some workaround...

Thank you for your interest on the matter,

Bye!

I have this problema too. Any

I have this problem too. Any idea, workaround or something?

Views
Helpful
Replies