Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

RSTP ports

Hi all, Can anyone tell me, If i do not put port fast onto my rapid spanning tree edge ports,if I have a spanning tree reconvergence, will it take the normal 35 seconds to come back on?

2 REPLIES

Re: RSTP ports

No,it will not take because RSTP designates that port as edge port.

Edge port concept basically corresponds to the PortFast feature.

All ports directly connected to end stations cannot create bridging loops in the network. Therefore, the edge port directly transitions to the forwarding state, and skips the listening and learning stages.

HTH...rate if helpful..

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: RSTP ports

Satish

I think it will if you don't configure portfast because RSTP does not know it is then an edge port - ie. you inform RSTP of an edge port by configuring it as portfast.

Carl

NetPro is very useful tool for learning and you make a lot of use of it. No problems with this but it might help if you could at least search your own posts, or do you not pay any attention the answers you get :)

You had a response about STP back in July that answers this very question and from Francois as well who probably has forgotten more about STP than the rest of use ever knew !!

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&topicID=.ee71a04&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.2cc14cca/4#selected_message

Jon

Views
Helpful
Replies