cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rstp question

marcusbrutus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I just wish to ask if rstp on a trunk interface works in a forwarding or discarding state as per vlan or does it forward all vlans on one trunk interface and discards on another. I mean if i have interface f0/1 and f0/2 on a non-root switch and vlan 1 cost is less on f0/1 and vlan 2 cost is less on int f0/2, does this mean that f0/1 will be forwarding vlan 1 and discarding vlan2 while f0/2 will be forwarding vlan2 and discarding vlan 1?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mark

RSTP is done on a per vlan basis so on a trunk interface one vlan could be in forwarding whilst another could be discarding. In fact this is quite a common setup as an access-layer switch connected to 2 distribution switches where the odd and even vlans are sent on different uplinks.

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mark

RSTP is done on a per vlan basis so on a trunk interface one vlan could be in forwarding whilst another could be discarding. In fact this is quite a common setup as an access-layer switch connected to 2 distribution switches where the odd and even vlans are sent on different uplinks.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card