Views
Helpful
Replies

Running two EIGRP process

jong_r0602
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Sir's,

I just want to ask on what is the consequences of running two EIGRP process in a Router. Appreciate your help

Thanks,

Jong

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

can you tell me , if I run 2 different eigrp processes, and some have the same routes in them, what would happen, would it use the route with the lower eigrp process number ?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

More memory utilization, more CPU utilization...

Depending on the topology and your requirements, it may or may not be necessary.

You havent really provided us with any information to make a qualitative judgement on the efficacy of running 2 eigrp processes on the same router.

HTH

Victor

Jong

When you run 2 EIGRP processes each process maintains its own topology table. So Victor is correct that there is some increase in memory utilization (but not much if the same routes were learned in a single process).

With 2 EIGRP processes the IP routing table will show the best routes learned by either process. They will look the same in the routing table, but routes learned in one process will be advertised only to neighbors learned through that process and not to neighbors learned through the other process. So there may be EIGRP routes in the routing table that are not advertised to some of the neighbors. This could be a good thing if you had a requirement to route for 2 domains (perhaps 2 divisions within an enterprise) but not to share routes between the domains.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

can you tell me , if I run 2 different eigrp processes, and some have the same routes in them, what would happen, would it use the route with the lower eigrp process number ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card