Views
Helpful
Replies

RV345 and LACP 802.3ad

doxuni
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does the RV345 supports Link Aggregation 802.3ad?

In the router itself I only find in 'LAN'->'Port Settings'->'Link Aggregation Configuration Table'.

I configured LAN1 and LAN2 to LAG1, but neither a windows server 2016 nor synology seems to correctly connect to it. I can't directly find it in the documentation what protocol cisco is using for their 'Link Aggregation'.

Hope anybody can help me.

Txs,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Received confirmation from Cisco. The RV345 does only supports 'Static Link Aggregation' and not 'Dynamic Link Aggregation'.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello,

I don't think this works on the RV345, the reason being that the Cisco side needs to be configured as a trunk, and the RV345 doesn't let you configure trunks...

Received confirmation from Cisco. The RV345 does only supports 'Static Link Aggregation' and not 'Dynamic Link Aggregation'.

@doxuni wrote:

Thank you for the information. Found the hard way (multiple hours of a research on none existing documentation and testing) that I can make the port-channel aka link aggregation aka LAG interface work between (in my case) RV340 and Juniper EX2200.

It gets easy as far as configuration on Cisco side because there is only a simple option to add an interface to Link Aggregation interface. Under LAN->Port settings->Link Aggregation Configuration Table. Just add LAN2 through LAN4 to LAG1 interface and click "Apply".

Where it got interesting was on the Juniper side. If you configure the aggregation port with LACP "active" the ae0 (or whatever ae port you use) will not come up. Here is the configuration that got me going:

delete interfaces ge-0/0/0 unit 0 <- can't have this subinterface (in Cisco language) configured
delete interfaces ge-0/0/1 unit 0

set chassis aggregated-devices ethernet device-count 2 <- just stating how many "ae" interfaces you want to create. I will be using "ae1" for my testing.

set interfaces ge-0/0/3 ether-options 802.3ad ae1
set interfaces ge-1/0/3 ether-options 802.3ad ae1<- this is the confusing part, 802.3ad is LACP but RV340 doesn't speak LACP. I guess this just statically adds the physical ports to the aggregation one. (any explanations would be appreciated).

NOTE: Skip this command "set interfaces ae1 aggregated-ether-options lacp active periodic fast" as that will kill the port-channel.

set interface ae1 unit 0 family ethernet-switching port-mode trunk vlan members 101,102 <- setting up trunk and adding VLANs that I want to pass from Juniper to RV340.

set interfaces ge-0/0/1 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members 101 <- adding ports to the right VLAN
set interfaces ge-0/0/2 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members 102.

From this point (after, of course, configuring same VLANs on RV340 with different DHCP scope for each VLAN) I can plug my test laptop to port ge-0/0/1 and get an IP from configured subnet 10.10.1.0/24 and similarly I get an IP from 10.10.2.0/24 subnet while connected to port ge-0/0/2 on Juniper Ex2200 switch.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card