Same VLAN -Different Name

jrabener
Level 1
Level 1

On Switch A:

Vlan0248 name "abc"

On Switch B:

Vlan0248 name "xyz"

How does this scenario effect this VLAN?

8 Replies 8

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The name is just an identifier and what's important is the Vlan ID.

The Vlan ID is the value used when tagging on trunk ports.

With that said, the above scenario can only be seen on a VTP transparent design. On a VTP server/client or server/server model, the Vlan IDs and names are identical in all switches.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I'm pursuing this is both switches think that they are the root bridge for this VLAN. I'm wondering if the different descriptions have anything to do with it.

If they both claim 'root' of that Vlan then it seems there isn't trunking configured between the switches.

Can you provide the output from typing

show interface trunk

show vtp status

show spanning-tree sum

HTH,

__

Edison.

Good Day,

I have the output from the 3 commands you mentioned. What should I be looking for? Everything looks normal, except both switches think they're the root bridge and the VLAN is named differently on each switch.

Regards,

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

with such configuration your switches must belong to different VTP domains or to be in VTP transparent mode.

I assume that your switches connected with each other

vtp mode 1

vtp mode transparent

The switches are not directly connected.

There are 2 paths, each with another switch in between these two.

Four core switches -1 intermediate switch doesn't have a VTP domain name configured.

How does that effect this scenario?

to make the VTP part easier

set the same VTP domain on all switches then pick one an set it to VTP server and all the others to VTP client

also ensure the switch-to-switch links are all trunks (and if you've set the native vlan to something other than 1 set it on the others)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card