Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

scenario question for you all: thinking on trying this....

Im thinking of putting in two default routes for my two ISP issue. Im thinking it will load balance that way, but Im wondering what will happen if one of the links goes down. Will it continue to try to send data out or will it just forward everything out the other side? Anyone know?

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: scenario question for you all: thinking on trying this....

Hi Joseph,

I believe you have 2 ISP connection on a single router? If yes you can have 2 default route with same admin distance which will load balance and incase if one link goes down all traffic will start moving out from the other link.

HTH

Ankur

No, sorry, I have this situation: LAN --> Pix --> new router --> two isp routers (on client site) --> internet . I want to put the two static default routes on the "new router" pointing to the isp routers on client site. your thoughts?

Cisco Employee

Hi Joseph,

Yes it will work the same way. If one link goes down it will start sending all traffic vis the second link.

Use the static routes with same admin distance with exit interface option.

ip route x.x.x.x x.x.x.x 200

ip route x.x.x.x x.x.x.x 200

HTH

Ankur

Ok, very good. I guess my next question is can I do object tracking with it by sending icmp packets to a destination to verify a link is down, since Im putting it on a router that has to go to the two routers connected to ISP, (still on client side) where the new router is connected via an ethernet cable to the two ISP routers. What do you guys think, object tracking or some other method?

Object tracking is what you need to detect the actual status of the connection as ethernet interfaces mayn't always go down when the link is unusable. This would help traffic from getting dropped/discarded when one of the links is unusable as the router would purge the corresponding static route from the routing table.

HTH

Sundar

Views
Helpful
Replies