Views
Helpful
Replies

secondary IP arp on 1841

ciscokalpesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have Cisco 1841 as the data router. We have assigned 2 secondary gateway ip on this router. This router has default route to the Firewall for internet traffic. Now the problem is only for the users with secondary IP as their gateway. (The secondary IP was given since that is a different subnet). Suddenly the users with the Sec. IP gateway cannot browse to the internet. When we login to the router and clear the arp from the router, everything works fine. This does not happen very often.

I am out of ideas with such problem. Please guide.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which exact IOS are you running ?

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(1c), RELEASE SO

FTWARE (fc1)

Hi,

Also to mention, we have enabled port monitoring on the switch port of the router. This is to filter the web traffic by websense server.

To be clear, Port-10 on switch is the router port and Port-11 on the switch is the Websense server port. Port 11 monitors all the traffic of the router port and filters the web traffic as per policies in the websense.

The router port that connects to the switch has 3 IP as their gateway. 2 of them are secondary IPs. The problem comes only with one of the secondary IP on the router. I mean that subnet cannot access internet only. Everything else works fine.

I guess either some problem from the switch or the router. Please guide, if any ideas.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: