Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Selective Packet Discard on Cisco Router

Hi,

What are the adv/disadv of this feature.

We are try to implement the same for ibgp/ebgp secnario

But, from Cisco doc, I came to know , It will not help us for 7200 Platform

Will it helpful for 2821/3845 router, same is facing towards my ISP with Ebgp running

Br/Subhojit                  

2 Replies 2

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

Why will it not help for 7200? Did you read this document?

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/security/intelligence/spd.html

I don't have much experience with SPD but I believe it would be useful when the interface is congested or near congestion to make room for the control plane packets first before the regular input queue.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Please rate helpful posts.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The advantage of this feature, if an ingress queue is about to overflow, SPD tries to first drop "less important" packets.

It's unusual to see ingress queues fill, so before worrying about SPD, you might try to determine why the ingress queue is filling.

Also, for some transient ingress queue bursts, an alternative is to just increase the queue size so the queued packets aren't as likely to be dropped.  (Often default ingress queues sizes are relatively "shallow" because it's unusual, again, for this queue to fill.)

PS:

BTW, for BGP, are the peers taking advantage of full sized packets?  (I.e. what's the MTU being used by BGP?)

PPS:

Large BGP updates, like the initial load of the Internet's routes, will often queue up in ingress queues, as the control plane tries to process them.  Larger, and fewer, BGP packets, slightly decrease the packet processing load for these.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card