Views
Helpful
Replies

send specific multicast traffic down a separate path

Chris Holub
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I hope someone can give me a config example or at least point me in the right direction for this.

We are a large church with multiple locations and each location is connected back to the main campus by a gig wave circuit from Century Link. Basically a gig fiber that's private for just our traffic. So all phone and internet from those other campuses come through us. We live stream the service from our main campus over to the multi-sites and they decode and play the stream at their own campuses. It's a a multicast stream and I am using QOS to help keep it from glitching etc.. Well now I am getting a redundant gig fiber to each campus and I would like to use it just for the stream only. Everything is on it's separate vlan and if possible I would like to send all vlan 130 traffic down that specific link. Is that done through policy based routing?

I am running Cisco 3750's 3850's and at the main campus it would hit our 4506 with a sup 7e.

Cheers,
Chris

2 Replies 2

Rich Uline
Level 1
Level 1

Chris,

Are the Gigabit links layer 2? If so, and the interesting multicast traffic is contained within VLAN 130, then you could allow only VLAN 130 on the new link and disallow it on the old link. However, why not just bundle the links for failover purposes?

@thepaan01 wrote:

Chris,

Are the Gigabit links layer 2? If so, and the interesting multicast traffic is contained within VLAN 130, then you could allow only VLAN 130 on the new link and disallow it on the old link. However, why not just bundle the links for failover purposes?

Between the campuses I do use EIGRP and the multicast traffic is within the vlan 130

Yeah my idea was to just put that traffic from the video stream on the new fiber and thats all so I never get the call that hey we have some glitching on the stream and they think it's from the circuit being overloaded. 

Thanks,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card