Views
Helpful
Replies

Separate routing processes on 6506E switch

zac.quinn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a 6506E switch with multiple VLAN's. I need to interconnect 2 groups of VLAN's via a PIX 525E running 6.2 so can't subinterface. Is it possible to run a routing process on the 6506E for vlans's a-c and another also on the 6506E for vlan's d-f allowing the firewall to control access between the groups? By default the 6506E routes all the connected vlans a-f together which circumvents the firewall.

TIA Zac

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Zac

Yes you can do this using VRF-lite -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/46sg/configuration/guide/vrf.html

I know this doc is for the 4500 but it works on the 6500, i can just never fine the doc for that.

Vrf-lite will allow you to have 2 completely separate routing and forwarding tables one for vlan a-c (vrf1) and one for vlans d - f (vrf2).

Assuming you are using 2 interfaces on the pix you would then allocate ports that the interfaces connect into on the 6500 as either vrf1 or vrf2.

Jon

Apologies for not getting back to you. Many thanks for the info but in the end the topology changed so this was no longer required and I forgot I'd even asked the question!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card