Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up DHCP on 4321 router question

I found a site that explained how to set up DHCP in English instead of gobbledygook but it appears that something has changed or they made a typo or two: http://www.firewall.cx/cisco-technical-knowledgebase/cisco-routers/812-cisco-router-dhcp-config.html

Below is as far as I have gotten:

Router_Name> enable
Password: [Enter Password]
Router_Name# configure terminal
Router_Name(config)# service dhcp
Router_Name(config)# ip dhcp pool [Make up a pool name and stick it here]
Router_Name (dhcp-config)# network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 <-This did not work the first time, but did when I tried it just now before posting this question (as a lark I just tried the first number and it appears to have took, aka 'no error message', so I tried both and it appears to have worked.)

Router_Name (dhcp-config)# default-router 192.168.1.1 <-This is not working. What do I need to put in here to make the Router's address 192.168.1.1?

Also how do I get the DNS Servers' addresses from the ISP automatically as it should be for simple setups?

Because the next line of the instructions says "Router_Name (dhcp-config)# dns-server 192.168.1.5 195.170.0.1" and I'm sure that isn't going to work because I already tried it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as that this unit has been a useless expensive paper weight since Cyber Monday. (Fortunately the boss is my friend.)

Thnx in advance

3 Replies 3

Diana Karolina Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Good afternoon!

Here is an example configuration:

ip dhcp pool Wireless
   network 10.20.2.0 255.255.255.0
   default-router 10.20.2.1
   dns-server 8.8.8.8
   lease 0 8

The default-router has to be the vlan o network gateway, so If this router will be the gateway you have to configure an internal interface or subinterface with this address (typing "ip address 10.20.2.1 255.255.255.0" inside the interface) . The dns-server can be a Local DNS or a public one (you can ask to your Service provider the one they use, I have used 8.8.8.8 because is a Google DNS and it's ok for this example.

Please do not forget to rate useful post.

Best Regards,

What if my network is on a different subnet then that 10.x.x.x. stuff - sorry but your answer means nothing to me, I have no idea what you are trying to communicate. (I used 192.168.1.1 as my example because that's what I've used to for over 20 years.)

Also, was the Wireless pool name intentionally meant to yank my chain? Why would I call something "Wireless" when it's not wireless. (I'll worry about wireless when I plug the WAP581 into the switch - right now I need a ^%#&*$ router that works as a simple router.)

This is simple simple sh!t that I need to do:

- Port 1, aka 0/0/1, aka 192.168.2.254 goes to the ISP’s ADLS/VDSL modem and is the Gateway address (according to the Cisco tech that showed me how to update the software and configure the ports this has to be the gateway address. Yes, I have a service contract but want to know how to set it up myself.)
- Port 2, aka 0/0/0, aka 192.168.2.253 goes to the switch (Because I do plan on linking the two with the fiber interface at our largest location where the switch and router are on different floors  - if I can ever make this unit work and justify spending another penny on Cisco stuff again.)
- The unit logs onto the ISP via PPPoE
- The unit assigns IP addresses as devices are turned on starting at 192.168.2.1
- I get internet access (Then I worry about all the fancy sh!t the unit can do - I don’t know how it works in big fancy pants corporations anymore, but in a small business the ONLY thing that matters is: Am. I. Up. And. Running.)

I'd rate your post, but I have no idea what you just said.

That 10.x.x.x. is all Greek to me.

If I use it will the router assign IP addresses starting at 192.168.1.1? (I'm actually using 192.168.2.1 - but am using 192.168.1.1. as my example as that is the address I've been using for over 20 years.)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card