Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting Virtual Terminal Password?

kmphilbin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

When I was configuring a set of Cisco C3750 network switches (firmware version: 12.2(25)SEB4), I apparently incorrectly entered my Virtual Terminal Password. It is not causing a problem, other than I do not get prompted for a password when I telnet into the switch.

I haven't been able to find a command in the Command Reference book that allows me to reset, or turn on this feature.

Other than starting from scratch and reconfiguring the switches, is there a command, or set of commands, that would allow me to prompt for a password when someone telnets into the switch?

I appreciate all suggestions.

Thanks,

Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Kevin,

Switch# config Term

#line vty 0 4

#password cisco

#login

#end

#write mem

the above example will set the telnet password to cisco.

HTH

Regards

Shaheen

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hi Kevin,

Switch# config Term

#line vty 0 4

#password cisco

#login

#end

#write mem

the above example will set the telnet password to cisco.

HTH

Regards

Shaheen

Shaneen,

Excellent. That worked perfectly.

I suspected it was a line command. I am not well versed in them and was not really willing to poke around, unless rebuilding the switch was my only option.

Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,

Kevin

Kevin,

I assume you are talking about the VTY password. Entering the incorrect password shouldn't be the reason why the switch isn't prompting for a password. Rather, line vty 0 4 might be configured with 'no login' and this would cause the router to bypass login to access user mode. If it is then configure 'login' under 'line vty 0 4' mode to be authenticated.

HTH

Sundar

Sundar,

Shaheen posted the same fix with a nice little script about 3 minutes before you did.

Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,

Kevin

Hi Sundar,

I saw in all respnses the same command, why VTY must be in line vty 0 4, could be other options?
Thanks

yes depending on platform as example you can have many lines , generally people use 0 - 4 and 0 -15

from a 3900 router
sh line vty ?
<0-858> First Line range

from an ASR 1000X

(config)#line vty ?
<0-97> First Line number

3600 switch
#line vty ?
<0-15> First Line number

millerlae
Level 1
Level 1

Kevin-

You'll have to do this from Console since you don't know your VTY password

1. Enter config t

2. Enter int vty 0 4

3. Type password

4. Type login

5. Type Control Z

6. type copy run star (to save configuration)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card