Views
Helpful
Replies

%SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION on Cisco 2960S

forman102
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I started having connectivity issues between my core 4506E (Sup7E) and Cisco 2960S. There were input and CRC errors on Te int (SFP 10Gb - LRM) on 2960S, which cause the interface to reset and drop connections. While troubleshooting this issue, I have replaced patch cords and also had the tech checking the fiber. He said that there was some residue on one of the connectors, so the light levels fluctuated in 1300nm, but worked fine in 850. Well LRMs are using 1300, so he re-polished the tips, which helped to stabilize the light levels. After all that, I was still receiving the input/CRC errors, but the connection was NOT dropping. As my last resort I swapped the SFPs between the core and 2960, thinking I should start having issues on the core end. Well, here's what happened: I stopped receiving input/CRC errors on 2960 (also no errors on the core), but 2960s started generating Rx power high alarms:

%SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Te1/0/2: Rx power high alarm; Operating value:   0.4 dBm, Threshold value:   0.0 dBm.

I'm not sure how to handle that one...how can I fix this? Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thank you,

forman    

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ok, so if you've done the following:

1.  Tested the fibre with an OTDR;

2.  Replaced both 10Gb module; and

3.  Replaced the fibre patch lead.

If you are still getting line errors, then you are possibly looking at a faulty blade on the 4500R+E or the 2960S is faulty.

You can try one final thing and that is to move the 10Gb module to another slot and see if you will still see line errors.

If the line errors are still there then I recommend you contact Cisco TAC because I'm suspecting the 4500R+E-side line card is faulty.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card