cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP Module Best Practice Question -- Which Interface For Trunk?

cinmachina
Level 1
Level 1

Let's say I have a 3560x 48 gigabit port switch. It has a network module in it that has 4 SFP slots.

Let's also say that one of the gigabit interface ports is open (say, port gi0/48).

Is it best practice to make interface gi0/48 the trunk, or one of the SFP slots with an SFP module, assuming it's using 1000BaseTX.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

cinmachina wrote:

Let's say I have a 3560x 48 gigabit port switch. It has a network module in it that has 4 SFP slots.

Let's also say that one of the gigabit interface ports is open (say, port gi0/48).

Is it best practice to make interface gi0/48 the trunk, or one of the SFP slots with an SFP module, assuming it's using 1000BaseTX.

The network module is specifically intended for use a uplinks to other switches so i would recommend using those if available. Having said that it's not the end of the world if you need to use one of the 1 - 48Gbps ports as an uplink.

Jon

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that's the case about the purpose of network modules. Also, it seems logical to me that you'd use a native interface instead of one with additional hardware in it.

I want to know for sure. Is there a white paper on this somewhere or something?

cinmachina wrote:

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that's the case about the purpose of network modules. Also, it seems logical to me that you'd use a native interface instead of one with additional hardware in it.

I want to know for sure. Is there a white paper on this somewhere or something?

So you know the answer to your own question

From the 3560-X datasheet -

Cisco Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X Series primary features:

• 24 and 48 10/100/1000 PoE+ and non-PoE models

• Optional four Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) SFP or two 10GbE SFP+ uplink network modules

so it would seem that the network modules are indeed for uplinks.

Jon

The question would seem to be which port is best to use for an uplink.  You have a 3560 Switch with four SFP ports.  I use Cisco 3750 Switches with the same SFP ports available.  I standardize by always using the last SFP (highest numbered port) for the uplink (on stacks, always the first switch).  As a rule I only use the SFP modules for fiber.  I use 1000 GLC SFP's only when the switch doesn't have any gig ports or when it's close enough and/or practical enough to use copper for the uplink.  I don't think that there is any set manner in which to choose the port used as an uplink.  Standardization I think is an important key.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card