Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

SFP overheating

Hi

I have a 3750G-12S with SFP modules GLC-GE-100FX=.

Interfaces work fine, but I noted an unusual overheating of SFP modules.

I don't know the exact temperature, but to give you an idea, when I remove an SFP module from the slot I difficultly can take it in my hand.

Did anybody have a similar experience?

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: SFP overheating

Did you get any alarms or logs on the switch. Check the " show log ".

This could be due to a bad GBIC. I have come across a few cases where overheating causes tha GBIC failure. Though the GBIC is working and it might fail in near future if it crosses the threshold.

Contact TAC for the same.

-amit singh

I didn't get any alarms or logs, and I can exclude a bad module because I have the same experience on several interfaces.

Tanks

Hello,

Yes, I have been experiencing this problem, and I have the (un)official workaround from cisco TAC. I have also a bug ID CSCsj01656  for this, but I cant see any details from this bug, because it declared "proprietary" in bugtoolkit.

The workaround is to leave a blank hole between sfp:s, in other words put sfp only other place in -12S switch. (this makes this switch -6S when operating in 100M mode). This applies only to GLC-GE-100FX sfp:s with 3750-12S switch.

Views
Helpful
Replies