cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP Port 2950

kendalle01
Level 1
Level 1

I'm just getting started with Cisco and have a pair of 2950(s) with SFP ports cabled together. In order to do maintain/configure both switches from one or the other switch I need to establish communication through the SFP port. Otherwise I'm having to change my console cable. I'm going to research but any insight is appreciated.

Thank you,

Erick

1 Reply 1

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Yes, you either need to hop between the switches or communicate through the SFP. If you want to communicate through the SFP, here is something you could do:

First access both switches through console and configure an IP address for VLAN 1. Then configure the SFP port to be on VLAN 1. Now connect the SFP ports and make sure that you have connectivity between both switches. Enable telnet on both switches:

line vty 0 4

transport input all

password cisco

login

exit

enable password cisco

Now you can connect to one of the switches through console and telnet to the other via the switch. If you need to configure the SFP port as trunk, configure the remote switch first with VLAN 1 as the native vlan and then configure the local switch. In that way, you will maintain connectivity.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card