Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

sg 500 Stack Vlan

Hi All

I have a strange scenario I need some help with.

We have purchased 6 sg500 52 port switches (one arrived faulty and has been rma'd) now I’m wondering if I don’t have another faulty switch.

I followed the following steps to configure them,

I have setup 3 sg500 52 with a stack (ring) 

Cable from sw1 S3 to sw3 S4

Cable from sw1 S4 to sw2 S3

Cable from sw2 S4 to sw3 S3

I forced sw1 as master.

Enable L3 routing.

Changed default VLAN to 10.

Created 3 additional VLANS 11, 12, 13.

Assigned respective IP to each VLAN.

Set the default route on the switch to point to the router.

Placed return paths from the firewall to the switch.

Then I started assigning ports to their respective VLAN, ie,

sw1 port 1-40 vlan 10 (untagged and other vlans exclude, this is set by default)

sw2 port 10-25 vlan 11 (untagged and other vlans exclude, this is set by default)

sw3 port 1-48 vlan 12 (untagged and other vlans exclude, this is set by default)

I assigned DHCP with the relevant address assignment to each vlan.

All machines on their respective vlan received the correct IP and there was communication between vlans for a period of time. After about an hour I could not access the switch stack unless I logged through the console (it did respond to Pings), machines lost access to internet and resources, so I reloaded the stack. Everything started working again for another 30 mins and it went down again.

I reset the whole lot and started from scratch went through the process of setting the stack up again and vlan config, this time I only had 15 machines connected to vlan 12 and again I lost access to the stack until I reloaded it….

At this point I reset the whole lot and left it running in standard switch mode.

Im wondering if there is a step I have left out or if I have another faulty switch.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Everyone's tags (1)
Views
Helpful
Replies