cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-10P power an SG200-08 switch?

jeffdavis
Level 1
Level 1

Can a Cisco SG300-10P switch power a Cisco SG200-08 switch over POE?  Or an SG200-08P power an SG200-08 via POE?  I have an area where I'd like to put a small switch, but would like to avoid having to have electrical power run to it.  Or will the SG300 and SG200 POE switches only power endpoint devices such as cameras and IP phones?

Thanks in advance for you responses.

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

They are designed to power end point devices and not another switch.  Usually a port gets about 15watts (maximum). So you can not turn on another switch with 15watts.

Maximum power of 15.4W to any 10/100 or Gigabit Ethernet base port. The total power available for PoE per switch is as follows:

refer to table-1 in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps10898/data_sheet_c78-610061.html

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

They are designed to power end point devices and not another switch.  Usually a port gets about 15watts (maximum). So you can not turn on another switch with 15watts.

Maximum power of 15.4W to any 10/100 or Gigabit Ethernet base port. The total power available for PoE per switch is as follows:

refer to table-1 in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps10898/data_sheet_c78-610061.html

HTH

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Also, not all ports can support POE in these devices,

for example the SG300-10MP can only support 8 POE devices.

This is all in the same link I provided previously

HTH

Reza,

Thanks for the quick response.  I had found where each port can put out up to 15.4W, and a total of 30W maximum per switch, but I did not see what the requirements were to power the other switches.  Thanks for setting me straight.

Jeff

No problem Jeff,

Glad to help and thanks for the rating

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card