Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

sg300 internet access

Hi All

Can anyone advise if what im trying to do is possible, we have purchased a sg300-28 poe switch for our lab.

We work in a rented office block where they provide us with a network cable which we cunningly plug our old 2950 (which we are retiring to graveyard) into, we have one subnet on our old network and a vm which does the firewall etc.

we wanted to improve our management on our new device sg300 so we are replacing a 2950 switch (which makes a very loud noise) and decided to segment the "new" network switch, esxi, vm, mgmt, iscsi, vmotion, thin client etc

We have ths sg300 in l3 mode and all the internal networks 172.16.x.x are working ok as soon as i try to get internet i have a problem.

I plugged the office block ethernet cable which comes up through the floor into my laptop and took note of there ip scheme, gateway and mask.

I created a network 10.253.x.x (to match theres but used different ipv4 interface address) and used show cdp neighbour to get there vlan id i changed the uplink port (office block ethernet) to match there native vlan and created a static route ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.253.x.x at this point in ipv4 routes i can see 0.0.0.0 with a next hop of 10.253.x.x metric 1

At this point i tried ping from putty console connection from sg300 and i can ping 8.8.8.8 so the switch can get internet access but as soon as i try from my windows client 172.16.12.100 it does not work. I try tracert and that suggests destination network not available,.

Im assuming i need a nat device as i was troubleshooting before I  created 0.0.0.0 route, i had my client in vlan 1 and office block ethernet in vlan 1 access port using dhcp on my laptop and i got a address 10.253.x.x address and I could use internet fine but obviously client in different vlan would not get dhcp address.

Anyone any help here?

Thanks

Everyone's tags (1)
Views
Helpful
Replies