Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

sh cdp neigh | Shows physical int

Hi Experts

i have connected two switches together using a trunk underlying Port-channel to maximize the bandwidth , when i use sh cdp neigh i saw the physical interfaces ? pls clarify

thanks

Ibrahim

4 REPLIES
Purple

Thats normal  ,   why would you think it's not ?   You are not going to know where it is connected if it didnt show the ports on the far end  which is part of the purpose of cdp.

Bronze

I think the question is why does CDP display physical information if it's a Layer-2 Protocol?

Hi Guys

yes,why the physical interfaces not the end to end port-channel on the cdo neigh???

The main purpose of CDP is to tell you about the physical connection to the neighbour. In fact it is very useful like that because it can tell you if your cabling is correct. As for being layer-2, I suppose you could say it is a link-layer protocol.

Consider what happens if you have cabled wrongly, and your two links actually go to different switches. Actually, that might even be correct if you are using VSS on 6500 or vPC on Nexus. But which of the two neighbours would you say was the neighbour on the port-channel?

If you are using LACP or PAgP, there are other ways of finding out who is at the other end of the port-channel.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content