Helpful
Replies

sh logging output

vipinrajrc
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Experts,

I got an alert mail from one of my switches. From the logs i got the followings

2w0d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed s

tate to down

2w0d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed s

tate to up

tate to down

tate to up

tate to down

tate to up

tate to down

tate to up

tate to down
tate to up
tate to down
tate to up
tate to down
tate to up
tate to down
tate to up

I checked whether there is any error in interface. But i couldnt find any excpet one interface reset.

What exactly is this? I hear about interface flapping. Is this due to interfce flapping?

What is mean my interface flapping? is it due to some faulty hardware in the switch or due to the ethernet conenction?

Please advice

Thanks

Vipin

Thanks and Regards, Vipin
6 Replies 6

Hi Vipin,

Yes your fastethermet 0/1 has flapped.

It can be due to faulty hardware, fault cable or some issues in ethernet connection.

HTH,

Smitesh

Hi,

Thank you for your reply

So why dot it report any error in " sh interface fa0/1" ? I am having simialr issue with fa0/7 also.

One more doubt, what is the number infornt of each line "2w0d"? does it mean that 2week 0day?

Thanks

Vipin

Hi Vipin,

So why dot it report any error in " sh interface fa0/1" ? I am having simialr issue with fa0/7 also.

Is is why Don't or why do ?

Interface flaps are not displayed in the sh interface output. You will only see interface reset in show interface output; which can be due to interface buffers full, etc.

One more doubt, what is the number infornt of each line "2w0d"? does it mean that 2week 0day?

yes 2w0d is 2weeks 0 days and that is probably coming as you won't had configure NTP or date and time.

Regards,

Smitesh

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

i Didnt configure NTP.  yes i need to configure it.

Thanks

Vipin

Hi Vipin,

If your concerned is addressed, Can you please close this thread.

So that other community member don't waste their valuable time coming to this thread and finding it to be already answered.

Regards,

Smitesh

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

I would change the cable and also try this doc if it flts your platform:

How to use Time-Domain Reflectometer (TDR)

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-18983

And on a side note I myself would add

service timestamps log datetime msec

to my config.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card