cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

shaping or policing at layer 2

kschleppenbach
Level 4
Level 4

What functions, if any, are available for shaping or even just policing a switch port (layer 2)? I have Metro Ethernet Service provided to me on Gig ports. A 6509 at the hub site, a 3560 at remote 1 and a 3524 at remote 2. I have 100M rate service from hub to remote 1 and 10M rate service from hub to remote 2. How do I control the traffic rate on my side insteaf of just letting the service provider through away packets? And keeping remote 2 egress traffic from squeezing out remote 1 egress traffic at the hub site only to have the service provider through away anything over the 10M service? Thanks

1 Reply 1

wdrootz
Level 4
Level 4

A policy map specifies which traffic class to act on. Actions can include trusting the CoS, DSCP, or IP precedence values in the traffic class; setting a specific DSCP or IP precedence value in the traffic class; or specifying the traffic bandwidth limitations and the action to take when the traffic is out of profile. Before a policy map can be effective, you must attach it to an interface. Try the below config to limit the traffic to 1 mb inside the LAN.

Switch(config)# policy-map flow

Switch(config-pmap)# class ipclass1

Switch(config-pmap-c)# trust dscp

Switch(config-pmap-c)# police 100000 1000 exceed-action policed-dscp-transmit

apply the policy to output of the interface

Switch(config)# interface gigabitethernet0/1

Switch(config-if)# service-policy output flow

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card