Views
Helpful
Replies

Shared Infrastructure on Nexus 5020 and Nexus 2248

rahulja
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We are creating a shared Network infrastructure, the setup is in High Availability.

MPLS >> Router >> Nexus 7010 >> Nexus 5020 >> Nexus 2248 >> Server 1/ Customer 1  ( Ip Address :- 172.28.64.94 )

|                  |                         |                    |

MPLS >> Router >> Nexus 7010 >> Nexus 5020 >> Nexus 2248 >> Server 2/ Customer 2  ( Ip Address :- 172.28.64.94 )

If i want a Share Infrastructure,

For eg Server 1 and Server 2 are both teamed and connected to Cisco 2248 and having the same Ip Address, but they belong to different customers.

At the MPLS side, i can have different vrf for each customers - No problem

At the Nexus 7010, i can run vrf and still segregate the traffic.

The problem that i see is that Nexus 5020 and Nexus 2248 are Layer 2 Switches,

how do i segregate traffic between them till the end?

How does Nexus 5020 react to same IP Address on the servers at the end?

Help really appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Atif Awan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

rahulja@hclcomnet.co.in

Hi

We are creating a shared Network infrastructure, the setup is in High Availability.

MPLS >> Router >> Nexus 7010 >> Nexus 5020 >> Nexus 2248 >> Server 1/ Customer 1  ( Ip Address :- 172.28.64.94 )

MPLS >> Router >> Nexus 7010 >> Nexus 5020 >> Nexus 2248 >> Server 2/ Customer 2  ( Ip Address :- 172.28.64.94 )

If i want a Share Infrastructure,

For eg Server 1 and Server 2 are both teamed and connected to Cisco 2248 and having the same Ip Address, but they belong to different customers.

At the MPLS side, i can have different vrf for each customers - No problem

At the Nexus 7010, i can run vrf and still segregate the traffic.

The problem that i see is that Nexus 5020 and Nexus 2248 are Layer 2 Switches,

how do i segregate traffic between them till the end?

How does Nexus 5020 react to same IP Address on the servers at the end?

Help really appreciated.

Think of N5K/N2K as normal Layer-2 switches, how would you achieve what you need with normal switches? You use separate VLANs to do this and put the SVI of each VLAN in a unique VRF on the N7K. The N5K/N2K do not need to know the IP Addresses of the servers as they will perform Layer-2 switching by learning the MAC Addresses.

By the way N7K currently does not support MPLS so you will use VRF-Lite on N7K for maintaining the required separation. I guess you already knew that but just putting it out there in case you did not.

Atif

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card