Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Short interface bounces

Hi, I've noticed interfaces bouncing for just a few seconds. I can only see 5 crc and 5 input errors. Would this be enough for inteface to bounce?

Has anyone seen something like this? Bounce for just a few seconds?

Dec 11 12:58:13.312: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/40, changed state to up

Dec 11 12:58:31.984: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/40, changed state to down

Dec 11 12:58:33.992: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/40, changed state to up

Dec 11 13:06:52.816: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/40, changed state to down

Dec 11 13:06:57.104: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/40, changed state to up

Dec 11 13:07:16.016: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/40, changed state to down

Dec 11 13:07:18.024: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/40, changed state to up

1 REPLY

Re: Short interface bounces

Hi, CRC and input errors usually result from a layer 1 problem. I would check my cables for proper connections or even replace if needed. I would also check the speed and duplex settings on boths ends. I seen this happen in our network and the CRC and input errors just increased untill the problem was corrected.

HTH

WARNING: The CRC error rate is 0.66382% (greater than 1 in a million packets),

and the collision rate is less than 0.1%.

This can indicate excessive noise or transmission problems on the LAN or the LAN

bus itself. A high number of CRCs is usually the result of collisions or a station

transmitting bad data.

TRY THIS: Check cables to determine whether any are damaged. If 100BaseTX is being

used, ensure Category 5 cabling is being used and not another type, such as Category

REFERENCE: For more information, see:

Troubleshooting Ethernet

Troubleshooting Ethernet Collisions

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content