Views
Helpful
Replies

show interface command

lm20ele
Level 1
Level 1

Don't know exactly know why.

I assigned int Gi0/1 to vlan 450 and I assigned int vlan 450 an IP address. When I check the pkts/sec on int vlan 400 shows 0 pks/sec and when I show int gi0/1 shows 1120 pkts/sec. What is going on. Am I suppose to see about the same amount of traffic??

7 Replies 7

binhkdinh
Level 1
Level 1

Gi0/1 is assigned to VLAN 450, and you do "show int VLAN 400"?

Is this a typo?

yes It is a typo

sorry.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You won't see the same amount of traffic. Most of the traffic will be Layer3 or Layer2 switched and won't use the SVI (Switch Virtual Interface) Vlan 450.

I'm using using this devices as a router and I was expecting to see traffic going out on int vlan 450.

So becuase most of my traffic is Layer 3 is not using the svi?? and going directly to the physical interface? I kind of loose the definition of SVI on this scenario.

Most of the traffic is Layer3 switched vs Layer3 routed.

Layer3 routed is what you use when the SVI transports the data from one segment to another.

The router builds a table that has the ingress/egress ports associated with IP address to make forwarding decision. It relies on the SVI, when the information has age-out and no longer on the table.

Can I find any further reading?

Does this happen because of CEF?

No, it relies on the mac-address-table to make forwarding decision.

HTH,

____

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card