cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Show ip mroute count gives bad info on 3560X switch

Dan McGuire
Level 1
Level 1

The command "show ip mroute count" gives me nonsense information. I can't figure out why. I have a 3560X Layer 3 switch configured with two L3 interfaces, each of which are configured for PIM sparse-dense mode. Multicast routing works fine. It's going at 1 packet per second. Dense mode. The receiver is receiving. But I do a "show ip mroute count" and get this:

mroute_count.jpg

This is after I run for 5 minutes at a packet per second. I would expect the first values in Forwarding and Other to be about 300. (1 packet per second for 5 minutes). Instead, it increments very slowly. Also, I would expect the first number in Other (packets coming in) to equal the first number in Forwarding (packets successfully forwarded.) Instead, Other is much smaller.

The same command works perfectly well on a 2811 router. But I get junk on a Layer 3 switch. I've searched through Cisco pages and see no explanation for this.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Reply 1

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

I can't say for sure that it's the reason but I'm always suspicious to counters on Catalyst switches since forwarding is done in ASICs. That makes it more difficult to keep a proper count than on CPU based platforms such as ISR routers.

Just something to keep in mind.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Please rate helpful posts.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: