cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

show ip route issues

steigja
Level 3
Level 3

Does anyone know why when i show ip route to an internet address on a 6513 that has a static route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 to my default gateway firewall. it shows route is not found in the routing table?

6 Replies 6

Tarun Lohumi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's expected behaviour.

When you do a 'show ip route' for a specific destination, it would show you the next hop to reach that destination if it has one or would say '%subnet not in table'.

Default route is used when you do not have a route for a destination, so its technically not a route for that destination, its a gateway of last resort, kind of a dumyard for any unknown destinations.

So, in this case, it will use default gateway IP address to send packets. right? 

Yes it would use the default gateway (gateway of last resort indicated in the routing table) to send traffic for which there is not a matching route in the routing table.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

1. Will it be applicable to  '%subnet not in table'. cases also? 

2. Some case default gateway is not explicitly configured through static routes, but they are still appearing as a gateway of last resort? How are they getting injected into routing table? - Any example. 

Regards,

Re

I am not sure that I really understand what you are trying to ask. Here is what I think you are trying to address.

1) if you do a show ip route for some address and get the response that subnet is not in the routing table then if there is a default gateway (gateway of last resort in the routing table) then the default route can be used to forward that traffic.

2) the gateway of last resort can be statically configured or can be dynamically learned by a routing protocol

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Because the route is not in the routing table.

A default route will instruct the device to send all unknown routes over to the gateway. It does not populate the routing table with 'internet' routes.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: