Helpful
Replies

show redundancy states command

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

HI every body!

I am reading about supervisors redundancy in 4500 and 6500 switch

The command" show redundancy states" show which supervisor is active and which one is on standby.

For example in my book

show redundancy states

my state= 13 active

peer state=8 standby hot

mode= duplex

unit=secondary

unit id=2

1)What do " 13" and "8" indicate in above output?

2) unit=2 indicates second supervisor is active. But how can we determine which supervisor is first or second?

thanks a lot!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sarah,

we have just installed a 4507 with two supervisors with SSO redundancy

1) the numbers are simply the numeric equivalent of redundancy state: there is a finite state machine for redundancy and each supervisor is in a state (a stable state). State variable associates a numeric value to each state (see it as an index from a user point of view)

2) unit-id = 2 I think this is the slot number where the active supervisor is placed

in our case is:

sh red states

my state = 13 -ACTIVE

peer state = 8 -STANDBY HOT

Mode = Duplex

Unit = Secondary

>>> Unit ID = 4

Redundancy Mode (Operational) = Stateful Switchover

Redundancy Mode (Configured) = Stateful Switchover

Redundancy State = Stateful Switchove

a sh module can tell what is the active sup

switch#sh module

Chassis Type : WS-C4507R-E

Power consumed by backplane : 40 Watts

Mod Ports Card Type Model Serial No.

---+-----+--------------------------------------+------------------+-----------

3 6 Sup II+10GE 10GE (X2), 1000BaseX (SFP) WS-X4013+10GE JAE1228OSBY

4 6 Sup II+10GE 10GE (X2), 1000BaseX (SFP) WS-X4013+10GE JAE1228OSB7

6 48 10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45) WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 JAE1229P26X

7 48 10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45) WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 JAE1229P2AP

M MAC addresses Hw Fw Sw Status

--+--------------------------------+---+------------+----------------+---------

3 0022.55be.4740 to 0022.55be.4745 1.5 12.2(31r)SGA 12.2(46)SG Ok

4 0022.55be.4746 to 0022.55be.474b 1.5 12.2(31r)SGA 12.2(46)SG Ok

6 0022.55eb.5060 to 0022.55eb.508f 2.5 Ok

7 0022.55eb.4fd0 to 0022.55eb.4fff 2.5 Ok

Mod Redundancy role Operating mode Redundancy status

----+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------------------

3 Standby Supervisor SSO Standby hot

>>>> 4 Active Supervisor SSO Active

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

crow930us
Level 3
Level 3

I haven't found much on this topic but I have found this on the supportwiki.cisco site:

The adjectives Cold, Warm, and Hot denote the redundancy state. This value indicates whether the system and its components are ready to forward packets to their destination, and to assume the network services functionality. These terms appear along with Cisco Nonstop Forwarding (NSF) with Stateful Switchover (SSO), in the output of show commands issued in Cisco IOS Software, and with many high availability feature descriptions. For example, the show redundancy states command output indicates the redundancy state. Each term conveys the technical underpinnings that surround the amount of internal state information saved to allow increasingly faster switchover or even continuous packet forwarding.

These are the term definitions:

Cold: Cold redundancy refers to the degree of resiliency that a redundant system traditionally provides. A redundant system is cold when no state information is maintained between the backup or standby system and the system it protects.

Warm: Warm redundancy refers to a degree of resiliency beyond the cold standby system. In this case, the redundant system is partially prepared. However, the system does not have all the state information that the primary system knows, for an immediate take-over. Some additional information must be determined or gleaned from the traffic flow or the peer network devices to handle packet forwarding.

Hot: Hot redundancy refers to a degree of resiliency where the redundant system is fully prepared to handle the traffic of the primary system. Substantial state information is saved, so the network service is continuous, and the effect on traffic flow is minimal or nil in the case of a failover.

In the case of a single-processor, non-redundant system, the term warm refers to the fact that Cisco IOS Software is preloaded and partially prepared to resume packet forwarding. However, the system is reinitialized, so all software states that pertain to network services must be acquired again and prepared as with a cold reboot.

There are three modes in redundancy for the standby supervisor when native Cisco IOS Software is used:

RPR-The show module command displays Cold

RPR+-The show module command displays Warm

SSO-The show module command displays Hot

For any other states, the standby supervisor displays Other in the show module command output.

http://supportwiki.cisco.com/ViewWiki/index.php/Supervisor_engines_configured_for_redundancy_appear_as_STANDBY_HOT_and_STANDBY_COLD_in_the_output_of_the_show_redundancy_states_command

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sarah,

we have just installed a 4507 with two supervisors with SSO redundancy

1) the numbers are simply the numeric equivalent of redundancy state: there is a finite state machine for redundancy and each supervisor is in a state (a stable state). State variable associates a numeric value to each state (see it as an index from a user point of view)

2) unit-id = 2 I think this is the slot number where the active supervisor is placed

in our case is:

sh red states

my state = 13 -ACTIVE

peer state = 8 -STANDBY HOT

Mode = Duplex

Unit = Secondary

>>> Unit ID = 4

Redundancy Mode (Operational) = Stateful Switchover

Redundancy Mode (Configured) = Stateful Switchover

Redundancy State = Stateful Switchove

a sh module can tell what is the active sup

switch#sh module

Chassis Type : WS-C4507R-E

Power consumed by backplane : 40 Watts

Mod Ports Card Type Model Serial No.

---+-----+--------------------------------------+------------------+-----------

3 6 Sup II+10GE 10GE (X2), 1000BaseX (SFP) WS-X4013+10GE JAE1228OSBY

4 6 Sup II+10GE 10GE (X2), 1000BaseX (SFP) WS-X4013+10GE JAE1228OSB7

6 48 10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45) WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 JAE1229P26X

7 48 10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45) WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 JAE1229P2AP

M MAC addresses Hw Fw Sw Status

--+--------------------------------+---+------------+----------------+---------

3 0022.55be.4740 to 0022.55be.4745 1.5 12.2(31r)SGA 12.2(46)SG Ok

4 0022.55be.4746 to 0022.55be.474b 1.5 12.2(31r)SGA 12.2(46)SG Ok

6 0022.55eb.5060 to 0022.55eb.508f 2.5 Ok

7 0022.55eb.4fd0 to 0022.55eb.4fff 2.5 Ok

Mod Redundancy role Operating mode Redundancy status

----+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------------------

3 Standby Supervisor SSO Standby hot

>>>> 4 Active Supervisor SSO Active

Hope to help

Giuseppe

If I'm able to execute the "show redundancy x" commands on the ISR4451 router, does that mean that I can get another one and create a VSS cluster?

crow930us
Level 3
Level 3

I haven't found much on this topic but I have found this on the supportwiki.cisco site:

The adjectives Cold, Warm, and Hot denote the redundancy state. This value indicates whether the system and its components are ready to forward packets to their destination, and to assume the network services functionality. These terms appear along with Cisco Nonstop Forwarding (NSF) with Stateful Switchover (SSO), in the output of show commands issued in Cisco IOS Software, and with many high availability feature descriptions. For example, the show redundancy states command output indicates the redundancy state. Each term conveys the technical underpinnings that surround the amount of internal state information saved to allow increasingly faster switchover or even continuous packet forwarding.

These are the term definitions:

Cold: Cold redundancy refers to the degree of resiliency that a redundant system traditionally provides. A redundant system is cold when no state information is maintained between the backup or standby system and the system it protects.

Warm: Warm redundancy refers to a degree of resiliency beyond the cold standby system. In this case, the redundant system is partially prepared. However, the system does not have all the state information that the primary system knows, for an immediate take-over. Some additional information must be determined or gleaned from the traffic flow or the peer network devices to handle packet forwarding.

Hot: Hot redundancy refers to a degree of resiliency where the redundant system is fully prepared to handle the traffic of the primary system. Substantial state information is saved, so the network service is continuous, and the effect on traffic flow is minimal or nil in the case of a failover.

In the case of a single-processor, non-redundant system, the term warm refers to the fact that Cisco IOS Software is preloaded and partially prepared to resume packet forwarding. However, the system is reinitialized, so all software states that pertain to network services must be acquired again and prepared as with a cold reboot.

There are three modes in redundancy for the standby supervisor when native Cisco IOS Software is used:

RPR-The show module command displays Cold

RPR+-The show module command displays Warm

SSO-The show module command displays Hot

For any other states, the standby supervisor displays Other in the show module command output.

http://supportwiki.cisco.com/ViewWiki/index.php/Supervisor_engines_configured_for_redundancy_appear_as_STANDBY_HOT_and_STANDBY_COLD_in_the_output_of_the_show_redundancy_states_command

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card