Views
Helpful
Replies

show run and ping takes too long

asus zowey
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have a 3900 router that takes too long to execute the show run and ping commands. what could be the problem and how can i troubleshoot it ?

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You need to open a ticket with Cisco on this, as sometimes enabling certain feature will cause slowness.  I have had the same issue with Nexus 6004 and turn out that enabling SNMP is causing it.

HTH

i was thinking maybe i should check the memory or something like that

Hi ,

ITs nothing to do with memory. As mentioned above by Bilal/Reza you need to check your configuartion, If you have aaa configuration present check that as everything would go there and gets recorded hence it would take some time. Other than this would be your CPU utilization if that is high then you would see but that would be very rare.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've experiences some slowness with aaa - especially with the accounting bit... logging every single command that you do. Also slowness when you are configuring a remote device that is far. The latency isn't great and also response times.

But yes of course, if config is fairly large, in most cases it takes a little longer to display. If it is affecting the performance of the router then advised to raise a case with TAC. Even if its not, consult with them. Also have you upgraded firmware - they will probably ask this too. tbh, not quite sure how I would troubleshoot if you are waiting really really long for these commands.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hey check high urilization processes in  with SHOW CPU PROCESS  command

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card