cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shutdown Device

danny9797
Level 1
Level 1

I have a basic question here. How do you shutdown a cisco firewall or switch from a telnet session? Im talking about the entire device and not just interfaces.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

rajbhatt
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Danny,

Question is not very clear

Are you trying to shut the interfaces while quitting the telnet session ?

For exiting the telnet session :from a swicth and firewall :

config t#exit

sw01#exit

It closes the telnet session

Raj

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If you're talking such that shutdown = Power off, or offline while passing traffic, then it can't be done.

You can reboot (reload) a router or PIX, but there's no "soft power off." It is not a feature because there's generally no reason for a remote power off, and may create a vulnerability.

I can't think of anything that could be done by power off / shutdown / standby that couldn't be done through ACL or closing / shutting an interface.

Many of the devices don't even have a power switch ... if you want to power-cycle the thing you have to unplug it.

Perhaps you could post a reason wanting to doing what you ask?

Good Luck

Scott

sorry for not being too clear

I need to power off a couple of devices b/c the switch and firewall is powered by a UPS. The ups is dead and needs to be replaced, so I have to power off the switch/firewall for the changes.

I didn't want to just hit the off switch on the switch /firewall, so I was wondering if there was a "soft" method of powering them down.

Nope just make sure the configs have saved and power it off .

sounds good, thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card