cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shutdown Device

danny9797
Level 1
Level 1

I have a basic question here. How do you shutdown a cisco firewall or switch from a telnet session? Im talking about the entire device and not just interfaces.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

rajbhatt
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Danny,

Question is not very clear

Are you trying to shut the interfaces while quitting the telnet session ?

For exiting the telnet session :from a swicth and firewall :

config t#exit

sw01#exit

It closes the telnet session

Raj

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If you're talking such that shutdown = Power off, or offline while passing traffic, then it can't be done.

You can reboot (reload) a router or PIX, but there's no "soft power off." It is not a feature because there's generally no reason for a remote power off, and may create a vulnerability.

I can't think of anything that could be done by power off / shutdown / standby that couldn't be done through ACL or closing / shutting an interface.

Many of the devices don't even have a power switch ... if you want to power-cycle the thing you have to unplug it.

Perhaps you could post a reason wanting to doing what you ask?

Good Luck

Scott

sorry for not being too clear

I need to power off a couple of devices b/c the switch and firewall is powered by a UPS. The ups is dead and needs to be replaced, so I have to power off the switch/firewall for the changes.

I didn't want to just hit the off switch on the switch /firewall, so I was wondering if there was a "soft" method of powering them down.

Nope just make sure the configs have saved and power it off .

sounds good, thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: