cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shutdown VLAN 1 and use some other VLAN interface for Management

jwheat
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me what is the downside to shutting down VLAN 1 and using some other VLAN interface for the switches management? Does it make a difference is the other VLAN is configured as native on the connecting trunk?

3 Replies 3

farkascsgy
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Shutdown VLAN1 doesn't have disadvantage, this solution is prefered. So if you can please change your native vlan from vlan1 to other. Behind this scenario there are so many Security Attacks. You can read about these in the Web (spofing..)

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

Thanks for your reply. I understand why it might be a good security posture to use something other than VLAN 1 for the management interface for the switch management. I would like to know if this will cause any significant problems it we do this.

This will NOT cause any problems. It is a good idea for security purposes to completely phase out VLAN 1. You can change the native VLAN on all your trunks to what you wish, also you can use a different VLAN for your management addresses. No problems.

-Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card