cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shutdown VLAN 1?

mloraditch
Level 7
Level 7

I have a layer 3 network where we must have Vlan 1 running for a vendors equipment. Outside of the layer 3 routing switch, can I shutdown the Vlan 1 interface on other switches and still have ports on that switch using Vlan1 in access mode?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes absolutely as the vlan 1 interface on your other switches, L2 i'm assuming, are purely used for management of the switches and will not affect the forwarding of packets from hosts/servers connected into ports in vlan 1.

How are you going to remotely manage the other switches ?

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes absolutely as the vlan 1 interface on your other switches, L2 i'm assuming, are purely used for management of the switches and will not affect the forwarding of packets from hosts/servers connected into ports in vlan 1.

How are you going to remotely manage the other switches ?

Jon

Jon

Thanks, I have a network management vlan setup that will be used for remote managment.

-Matthew

Matthew

Good because i had a vision of you shutting all the vlan 1 interfaces down and then not being able to telnet to the switches :-)

Jon

Yeah that would be bad! I've worked with layer 3 before a number of times at previous employers but this is the first time I have designed and setup a network from scratch. I'd rather not have used Vlan1 at all but i have a PITA vendor who uses cisco gear and insists their switch must be on vlan 1 so here we are!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card