Views
Helpful
Replies

Shutting the GRE tunnel int down in case of fastEthernet int protocol is down

gauravshar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi There,

I need to configure my GRE/IPSec tunnel router in such a way that if its LAN interface (fas0/0) 's prototcol is down its Tunn interface should also become down. Kindly let me know if it is doable.

thanks and regards,

Gaurav

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gaurav

Have a look at this thread with a solution from Joe Clarke using EEM -

EEM interface down

Jon

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gaurav,

if the fast interface is the tunnel source and you use GRE keepalive you get this easily.

the tunnel GRE will become up/down if GRE keepalives fail as a result of failure of the physical interface.

Another way to do this: if you use a routing protocol over the GRE it will fail as a a result of physical interface.

So generally speaking there is no need to shut a GRE tunnel if the physical interface fails.

IF you really want to do this (to shut the GRE tunnel when an event happens) you should look at EEM and you can post your question under network management where Joe Clarke can be of great help in this.

Edit:

for EEM follow Jon's link is what you need if you really want to do it in this way

Hope to help

Giuseppe

gary-shah
Level 4
Level 4

If you are sourcing ip from referenced FastEthernet ... then by default - GRE tunnel line protocol would go down.

If IPSEC is not in effect, you can use keepalive which would reliably detect communication between 2 tunnel end-points.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: