Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

%SIBYTE-DFC3-4-SB_EXCESS_COLL

Hello!

Jan 19 20:57:46 MSK: %SIBYTE-DFC3-4-SB_EXCESS_COLL: Excessive collisions on mac 1 (count: 263)

Jan 19 20:57:46 MSK: %SIBYTE-DFC8-4-SB_EXCESS_COLL: Excessive collisions on mac 1 (count: 268)

Jan 19 20:57:46 MSK: %SIBYTE-DFC7-4-SB_EXCESS_COLL: Excessive collisions on mac 1 (count: 255)

Cisco 7609 with RSP720. Unforutantely I was unable to find this type of message on cisco.com. Does anybody know what does this exaclty mean?

P.S. All I gat is the only link http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2033/products_tech_note09186a008009446d.shtml#topic5

Thanks.

Peter.

Everyone's tags (1)
6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: %SIBYTE-DFC3-4-SB_EXCESS_COLL

Hi Peter,

Here is the explanation of the messages.

%SIBYTE-DFC4-4-SB_EXCESS_COLL: Excessive collisions on mac 1 (count: 1)

These messages basically mean that excessive collisions have occurred on the MAC
interface.

A small number of excessive collisions is not a problem at all.  It is the nature of
bus-based Ethernet. The reason you saw the message message maybe because you have configured
the "service internal" on your switch.  If you change the configuration (no service
internal), he will not see the error message at all.

With service internal mode off, the system will only print out such message whenever the
excessive collision reaches a certain fixed threshold. In this case, the appearance of
this message may indicate a real collision case.

With the service internal mode on, the system will print out such message whenever there
is one instance of excessive collision. It may be caused by some hardware noise.  The
occasional appearance of this message with service internal mode on is a normal behavior.

I hope this information could help you.

Itzcoatl Espinosa

hi

thx for the explantion. But what kind of interface is mac 1 on a 6509 with SUP720?

Regards

Artur

Could it be a device slot no.?

Hi

yes would make sense... I've got 2 messages:

1711390: Feb 21 11:04:21 GMT: %SIBYTE-DFC2-4-SB_EXCESS_COLL: Excessive collisions on mac 1 (count: 8311)

1711391: Feb 21 11:04:52 GMT: %SIBYTE-DFC1-4-SB_EXCESS_COLL: Excessive collisions on mac 1 (count: 9189)

But i would mean that the whole slot 1 and 2 had collisions on the switching matrix. This brings us back to what kind of interface it is .. maybe some kind of management interface on the slot?
Kind regards
Artur

Artur,

Good question...

Well, I was told that if there're not too much collisions on counters - it's OK. Otherwise - you have to do something.

in the end i openend a TAC case:

it a collision on the out-of-band-ethernet management bus   (EOBC) for the line cards only. it is not critical. you can disable it with command no service internal.

Regards

Artur

Views
Helpful
Replies