Helpful
Replies

Simple networking help needed

abidhasan
Level 1
Level 1

hello guys....I have a very simple query please help me to find out:

I have only one IP series  192.168.1.0/24

and there are 4 Routers, 8 Switchs and 8 PCs which need to configured, in each Router there will be 2 Switchs with two FastEthernet port has to be connected and In each Switchs there will be 1 PC. And the Switches configuration has to be default. Please help me to by given the command of the routers with IP addresses.

Router1->0/0 ->SW1-> PC1

Router1->0/1->SW2->PC2

the goal is PC1 has to pingable to PC2

Thanks in advance....

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dese.co.uk
Level 1
Level 1

Abid,

do you already have drawn down a plan of your network topology?

1 Network, 4 Routers, 8 Switches and 8 PC sounds a bit like killing the fly on the wall with blowing up the entire house.

Please provide proper details, if you intend to make a subnetting of your 192.168.1.0/24 network.

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

dese.co.uk
Level 1
Level 1

Abid,

do you already have drawn down a plan of your network topology?

1 Network, 4 Routers, 8 Switches and 8 PC sounds a bit like killing the fly on the wall with blowing up the entire house.

Please provide proper details, if you intend to make a subnetting of your 192.168.1.0/24 network.

Regards,

David

abidhasan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello David,

Yes its basically a testing purpose what we are trying to deploy in a Lab. can u please help me out by given the recommended routing commands... infact I am facing the problem when I am putting the IP address...

when I am putting the ip address on interface0/1 then it says that ip overlapping...

thanks for ur reply...

Dear Abid,

of course it says "overlapping". this is a router which connects and forwards different networks.

Configuring 2 IP addresses from the same network on 2 FE on one router doesn't make sense at all

as the router in this case can't figure out which one of the 2 FE is the "real" responsible one and on which to route.

Thus, your approach will only work to implement a proper topology involving subnetting.

can advise please what model of Routers you have and with how many FastEthernet interfaces each one is equipped?

Thanks & Best Regards,

David.

Hey David,

Thanks for understanding my problem ...

so in this scenario what will be the router command to put the IP address when I was input ip address 192.168.1.1 for FE0/0 then it taking...but when I am putting 192.168.1.2 on FE0/1 its not taking....I just want to know why its not taking and what will be the commands on that scenario...i wants to configure two FE .

Thanks for replying sir....

abid

Dear Abid,

what you try to do will in this way not work without proper subnetting.

From my point of view all you can do is to hack your 192.168.1/24 network in pieces.

What here matters is the required different subnet mask.

e.g.

1 router, 2 FE, 2 Switches 2 PC.

you can do following:

on FE 0/0 assing a subnet with a length of 6 usable ip addresses, means:

192.168.1.0/29

conf t

interface FastEthernet 0/0

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.248

exit

interface FastEthernet 0/1

ip address 192.168.1.8 255.255.255.248

end

wr

copy run start

what here happen is a subnetting in which you take a part from a big net and section it to 2 x 8 IP addresses in which each has 6 usable addresses.

you can now assign to your first PC the IP: 192.168.1.2 Mask: 255.255.255.248 Gateway: 192.168.1.1 and

to your second PC: IP: 192.168.1.9 Mask: 255.255.255.248 Gateway: 192.168.1.8

I trust the above example clarifies the matter.

All the best!

David.

hey David,,

You are great...

thank you so much....

you are most welcome.

kindly vote the correct answers as it helps other users to keep track of the right tasks.

All the best!

David.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card