Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Simple SLB with CSS 11052

I just bought a used CSS 11052 and I'm trying to use it in a non-production environment to do simple load-balancing across two servers that are running Windows Server 2003. My client applications on the front-end of the switch need to access back-end services by VIP and I also have clients running on the back-end servers that need to access other back-end services by VIP.

I have minimal networking background and very little CSS background, so I have some newbie questions:

1. Can a client running on a back-end server access a back-end service by VIP? Even if the back-end client request gets load-balanced to a service running on the same server as the client?

2. I have a simple office network with one simple router/gateway (a Netgear FVS-318) and a single subnet (192.168.33.0/24). What switching topology should I use? I've seen documentation and books talking about bridged, routed, and one-armed designs but I can't tell which would be simplest for me to set up. This is a small setup, so I don't have enough servers to care about using up all the interface ports on the switch. I also don't expect a lot of network traffic.

Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Simple SLB with CSS 11052

Jim

This forum is mainly for people with expertise in LAN switches and routers. There is another forum for load-balancing

Data Center -> Application Networking

in that forum are people who are much better placed to answer this type of question ie. one of Cisco's load-balancing experts frequently posts answers.

Please do not take this as a "you posted in the wrong forum..." post rather it is meant to help you get a good answer to your question.

Jon

Re: Simple SLB with CSS 11052

Thank you Jon. I'll repost in the appropriate forum.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content