Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple STP question

tiwang
Level 3
Level 3

hi out there

We are looking for some latency in our net and I am trying to check if our STP implementations is running correctly - we have a simple flat network here and no blocked ports here - just two nx 5010 which are interconnected with two uplinks

A remote site - mirrored setup - with 2 10G dark fiber connections - one for each nx5010 - is connection a DR site. I have split the two sites in two stp domains by enabling bpdu-filter on the vpc between the two sites.

I have been running wireshark on the local segment for some time and see the STP RST ROOT announcement every 2. seconds  - this is probably normal ? I was looking for some alternate root negotiation packets which would cause the mac tables to be flushed - how would they look? I don't see anything but I would just like to know to be sure.

best regards /ti

2 Replies 2

Beetlejuice01
Level 1
Level 1

Show in the log of the switch if something happen, you will see it. Change if you haven't the priority of your root switch to 0. If you can provide a configuration or output of log, and a jpeg or scenario of your network we can better understand and help you.

hi again

We are running (almost) full std config on the STP setup - the only thing I have done with STP is to define a bpdu-filter between the two sites to split it into two STP domains - the rest i default config from the box - I have uploaded a visio drawing which might help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card