Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple Vlan Configuration

I have a 2960 that is connected to a NetGear router for cable modem access and to our corp network. The netgear gives out IP addresses for public access. I have a WAP with two SSIDs. One ID is PUBLIC and tagged as VLAN 8. The other is PRIVATE and untagged.

I have updated my diagram to show what I need to happen. Based on what SSID a user attaches to with there laptop, they have access to the corporate lan or public internet access. I cannot get the ports on the switch to allow this to happen. What needs to be set to get it to work via VLANs. No routing between VLANs is needed.

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ronald,

the port between the C2960 and the access point has to be a trunk port carrying vlan 8 and another vlan x

that vlan has to be the native vlan on the port

int type x/y

desc to access point

switchport

switchport trunk enc dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan x

switchport trunk allowed vlan 8,x

switchport mode trunk

the access point has to associate

SSD1 to vlan 8

SSD2 to vlan x

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Does the port that the netgear need to be set as trunk or just as Access and VLAN8

I can get an address from the netgear but I cannot get an address from the corp network DHCP.

I have the port that the corp DHCP server is on is a trunk port. That is the only setting.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card