cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Single 7204 w/Dual HSRP 6509 Switches

fmagoufis
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 6509 switches running HSRP between them for all vlans.  I have a 7204 with a DS3 pipe connected to only one of the two switches and I would like to connect the router so that it is connected to both switches.  I tried using bridging, but HSRP triggered and failed over constantly.

Is this possible to take both ethernet interfaces on the 7204 and connect them to each 6509 switch?

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

fmagoufis wrote:

I have two 6509 switches running HSRP between them for all vlans.  I have a 7204 with a DS3 pipe connected to only one of the two switches and I would like to connect the router so that it is connected to both switches.  I tried using bridging, but HSRP triggered and failed over constantly.

Is this possible to take both ethernet interfaces on the 7204 and connect them to each 6509 switch?

Yes it's possible but the recommended way to do it to configure the links between the router and the 6500s as routed links each link using a /30 subnet and then run a dynamic routing protocol between the 7204 and the 6500s. That way the 6500s see 2 equal costs paths to all the destinations beyond the 7204.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card